There are many milestones in life that change the way we live and the way we approach each day. Getting married and starting a family are two life choices that typically drive the pursuit of another goal: owning land and a home.Your team at Santa Cruz Properties knows all about the struggles and joys of finding a piece of land to call your own. There are few things in life as rewarding as knowing that the earth you stand on belongs to you and that you can bring your own unique vision to it for you and your family.
One thing that many people find beneficial when choosing how to best use their land is deciding to grow their own food.
In recent years, there has been a revival in the popularity of gardening and other means of providing fresh produce for your own household. This can be especially alluring in the Rio Grande Valley as it has such a long agricultural history. From citrus and onions to peppers and sugar cane, there are a number of foods that have found a home here, invigorating the culture and economy of The Valley.
In a similar way, there are a number of reasons why growing your own food can improve you and your family’s lives.
What Growing Your Own Food Can Mean For You
As when trying any new thing at home, there are a few things to consider in order to ensure that this is a good choice for you and your family. While not an exhaustive list, the following are some of the reasons so many have started growing their own food on their own land:
- The Economic Angle: The cost of living has risen over time, especially in relation to food, and people are always looking for ways to save money. Growing your own food can reduce how much you spend at the grocery story, making it a great money-saving measure.
- Food Grades: People have become more conscious of not only what food goes into their bodies, but what goes into their food. Gardening and farming at home are great to help you avoid worrying over whether your food falls under certain labels. Since you choose what you grow, your food is more likely to be free of steroids, fertilizers, and harmful chemicals like pesticides and herbicides.
- Convenience: If you happen to live far away from a grocery store or market, making the trip to buy food can be time-consuming and cut into the rest of your plans. Having your own garden or small patch of farmland right outside your door saves time and can also help financially in different ways like costs from gas.
- Better Taste, Better Diet: The reality is that you aren’t going to be growing pizzas and hamburgers in your backyard. More than likely your diet is going to include more fruits and vegetables. Also, many people feel that because these foods are grown naturally with only sunlight and water, their flavor is much more outstanding.
- Family Time: When cultivating your own garden or farming your land, you have the chance to do something with the entire family outside. The combination of the outdoors and work is an ideal setting to share lessons with your children about taking responsibility for what they have and taking care of the earth.
It’s Easier Than You Think
Once you decide on growing produce at home, you might worry that it might be hard to get started or maintain a family garden. But, that’s not the case, according to Kathleen Frith, Managing Director of the Center for Health and the Global Environment (CHGE) at Harvard Medical school.
Frith reminds everyone that a lot of the things we commonly eat, like tomatoes and lettuce, are great options that are easy to learn to grow. By following these tips, she feels everyone can catch on pretty quickly when growing food for themselves:
- Do some research into what grows well locally in the Rio Grande Valley and their growing seasons by talking to local growers.
- Plant what you like in small quantities at the beginning.
- Soil that has no contaminants is best for optimum results.
- Make sure that you have access to water and 6 hours of sunlight, at the very least, when deciding where to grow.
- A raised garden bed may be a good choice as it gives you the option of controlling the soil and what you add to it.
Santa Cruz Properties: Helping you grow your dreams and much more.
Having your own land offers many opportunities for you to try new things. Maintaining your own garden or section of farmland can provide you and your family with more than just good homegrown food.
For help with making your dream of becoming a landowner a reality, contact Santa Cruz Properties today at (956) 383-0868. We can help you find the right land for you and will do everything we can to help you make it your own.